Serving U.S. Citizens & Their Foreign Spouse or Fiancé(e)

A temporary separation is difficult for any couple—especially if they are thousands of miles apart. This separation often occurs when only one partner is a U.S. citizen. In this case, you will want to do everything in your power to acquire residency as soon as possible.

The K nonimmigrant visa was created to shorten the amount of time a foreign spouse or fiancé(e) needs to wait before joining their U.S. citizen partner. Essentially, they can wait in the U.S. with temporary status while USCIS adjudicates their petition. Once their petition is approved, they can adjust their status to permanent residence.

To obtain a K-1 visa for a fiancé(e) or a K-3 visa for a spouse, you will need personalized support from the Law Office of Sandra I. Murado, our reliable K visa attorney in Coral Gables is ready to advance your case.

Call (305) 448-4300 or contact us online so we can help you successfully navigate the K visa process. Our attorney is fluent in both English and Spanish, and we serve all couples, regardless of sexual orientation, background, or nationality.

The Fiancé(e) Visa Vs. the Spouse Visa

If you are a U.S. citizen, your foreign-citizen fiancé(e) can gain lawful permanent residency through marriage. The K-1 nonimmigrant visa allows your fiancé(e) to come to the United States specifically to marry you, and this marriage must occur within 90 days of their entry. Once you are married, your partner can apply for lawful permanent residence (a green card). If your partner has children, you can also bring them to the U.S. under a K-2 visa.

If you are a U.S. citizen and you are already married to your foreign-citizen partner, your partner may qualify for a K-3 nonimmigrant visa. K-4 visas are available, as well, for the minor children of foreign-citizen spouses.

How to Apply for K Visas

To apply for a K visa, you will need many different documents that prove you are in a committed, long-term, and legal relationship with your spouse, or that you and your fiancé(e) fully intend to stay married indefinitely.

Required evidence includes:

  • A petition signed for the foreign relative
  • Proof of both partners' nationality and citizenship (e.g. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certification, etc.)
  • Documents for previous marriages that have been annulled or terminated
  • Passports with photographs in color, depicting the U.S. citizen and fiancé(e)/spouse

Always be aware that the consular officer could ask for additional documents or information. When you have the Law Office of Sandra I. Murado on your side, you can trust our Coral Gables immigration attorney to fully prepare you for potential issues and gather any and all evidence you may need.