Supporting Specialty Workers Since 2003

To enter the United States, you will need one of many different types of visas, all of which differ depending on your unique situation and qualifications. If you have a job offer for a specialty occupation in the U.S., you may qualify for an H visa. This is an employment-based, nonimmigrant visa, reserved for workers with high-level training and experience.

To obtain this visa, you will need to fulfill a very specific set of requirements. This process can be quite complicated, which is why you'll need an attorney with years of experience and an in-depth understanding of what it takes to qualify. At The Law Offices of Sandra I. Murado P.A., our H visa lawyer in Coral Gables is fueled by a genuine desire to help you accomplish your legal, financial, and personal goals.

Call (305) 448-4300 for a personalized consultation with Attorney Murado. We offer services in English and Spanish.

The H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is for individuals performing a high-level role in a specialized profession. These positions usually require you to have a greater level of education, meaning a bachelor's degree or higher. For example, if you were applying for a project involving development or cooperative research with the Department of Defense (DOD), you must have proof of a government-to-government contract that has been directly administered by the DOD, as well as proof of qualifying higher education.

In many cases, those applying for a specialty occupation do not have a U.S. degree, as they attended a university or college in another country. If this is the case, you will need to prove that your degree is the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher.

Your education or experience may qualify as a U.S. bachelor's degree equivalent if:

  • You have an equivalent foreign degree, provable through documents comparing the levels of education;
  • Your university or college has been appropriately accredited; and/or
  • You have the experience, education, or training that not only is equivalent to a U.S. degree but also possesses a clear rank of expertise and recognition.

The H-1B visa program is highly competitive, which is why the U.S. must conduct a lottery each year to select a limited number of candidates. To give yourself the highest possible likelihood of obtaining a visa, get in touch with our attorney at the beginning of your application process. With close attention to detail, a goal-oriented mindset, and 25+ years of experience, our Coral Gables immigration lawyer,Attorney Murado can provide the dedicated support you need.